Thursday, September 4, 2008

BFS Assignment #100 - Oh What a Feeling!

I had a hard time figuring out how to write what I feel about homeschooling and then the parent of the almost 4yr old I care for took care of it for me.

When her older 2 boys were getting ready to start school there was a lot of talk between the boys about being "old enough and ready" for school. The older 2 were often teasing the A(3) that he wasn't old enough to go to school and he needed to talk better before he could. Here, http://stephaniefurness.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html#426696042707402987 , I mention that this little boy was denied admittance to the sped. ed preschool in this city, and we were all really surprised. I told all the boys that we, their Mom and I, decided that A will be having preschool here with me and the other kids.

Yesterday after our 1st day of preschool, here, A's Mom picked up and was very excited for her little ones. Apparently 1 of the older boys told her that it wasn't fair that A and J got to have preschool at our house while they went to school. The boys showed her their 1st day of school papers, talked about Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and both her and the kids were very happy. To see the look of pride on both A's and his Mom's face was priceless. It was something that was very seldom there.

Self-confidence and pride in your accomplishments is something I always felt was very important while educating my older children. They have gone on to be great adults. This is a character that I also want to see in my son and will be happy to help instill it in any child's heart.

3 comments:

Sombra said...

Oh how wonderful to be schooling little ones. My 2 1/2 year old loves the alphabet.. I was reading him Dr. Seuss's ABC book and it goes BIG A little a, what begins with A.. and every time he saw the BIG - he'd point to the I in the middle, and say BIG I, then BIG G and BIG B.... on every page!

I haven't read him CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM yet, but I own it.. somewhere..

It all looks like fun at your house!

Mrs. Sombra
BFS Teacher

Sheri said...

Wow, your life has come full circle. Those little ones have a way of "forcing" us to remain youngish and full of pep! Have a great new start to your pre-school and I look forward to coming back to read more!

Rebecca said...

Oh, I miss preschool! It makes me want to have more just so we can get out the fingerpaints! (Almost)

Seriously, I had to smile when I read the "not fair" comment. Too funny!